Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Bounty from the balcony...

Here are some balcony goodies that were waiting for me when I got back from vacation. Sadly my cucumbers (my favorite veggie) dried up but luckily I was able to taste a couple of them before the trip and they were yummy! Can't wait for the last of my strawberries to ripen and for my pepper to turn the bright red color it should be!



And now for my basil...I'm thinking it will turn into this yummy pesto tomorrow night :)

Basic Pesto Recipe

2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tbsp pine nuts
3 garlic cloves, finely minced

Place basil leaves in small batches in food processor (I use a small electric chopper) and blend until well chopped. Add garlic and blend again. Add pine nuts and parmesan cheese. Blend while slowly adding olive oil, stopping to scrape down side of the container. Process until it forms a thick paste and then enjoy!!

You can serve it fresh over pasta, chicken, what-not. I like to freeze pesto in an ice-cube tray, and once frozen slip all the pieces into a zip-lock bag to be used or shared whenever is convenient!

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

Lisa,

Thanks for posting this pesto recipe. I'm afraid I destroyed our whole "crop" by drying it too long in the oven. Sad! I do want to make pesto sometime, though!

I ended up making 3 pints of spaghetti sauce yesterday, using tomatoes, onion, and green pepper from our garden!