Monday, December 10, 2007

Straight From Heaven!!!

So yesterday we had a holiday party and all goodies were entered into a "Bake-Off Challenge" and after three years of participating in this event I was determined to win!!! When I saw this AMAZING brownie recipe from Baking Bites featuring my favorite holiday staple, Trader Joe's Peppermint Joe-Joe's, I knew that this would be the recipe to win the coveted golden wooden spoon award!

I must admit, I have never made a brownie that didn't come from a box and had no idea that I would use a stovetop and saucepan to prepare the batter but let me tell you something, the small amount of effort that it took to make these was so so so worth it! I just might never make a boxed brownie mix again!

I made two batches for our hungry student voters and secretly smiled every time I heard someone say "these are AMAZING" or "these taste better than sin" or "Oh my goodness, give me more!!" and I was confident the golden wooden spoon award was as good as mine! So, are you wondering if I won? Well, these amazing brownies sent straight from heaven came in a close second...WHAT!?!?!?!? I think the voting was tampered with but I will succumb as the winner slaved in her kitchen making some wonderful mini pumpkin cupcakes with vanilla bean cream cheese frosting. She is also about 5 months pregnant so I think she got a few sympathy votes from that...just kidding (kind of!) :)

If you do not have a local Trader Joe's to get some of their famous cookies you can use Mint Oreo's in replacement. If you are a fan of ooey-gooey brownies and mint then you have to try these the next time you need to make brownies! Be sure to cut them into tiny pieces as they are quite filling but still simply to die for! And to my family, expect to see a plate of brownies at Christmas :)Peppermint Cookies n’ Cream Brownies
From Nicole at Baking Bites!
1 cup butter
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups roughly chopped peppermint oreo-type cookies (approx 18)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, and grease lightly.

In a medium-large saucepan over low heat, melt together butter and chocolate, stirring occasionally. Whisk in sugar, salt and vanilla, then turn off heat. Whisk in eggs one at a time, waiting until each is fully incorporated before adding the next. Stir in flour and cocoa powder until mixture is uniform. Stir in peppermint oreo cookies and pour batter into prepared pan. Crush 3-4 additional cookies finely and sprinkle on top of batter, if desired.

Bake for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs, but not coated with batter.

Cool brownies in pan for about 20 minutes, then lift brownies in the foil out of the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Those sound wonderful! Sorry to hear you lost after so much work. I'm surprised that you've never made brownies without a box! But then again brownies are one of the few things that can be very tasty(some times yummier than homemade) from a box mix. However, the key is finding a good homemade recipe, and once you do you'll never go back.

*carrie* said...

Lisa,

Thanks for sharing your (almost!) winning recipe. Ha! Looks so yummy.

Tonight's the RA party--can't wait to see what gifts were scored at Goodwill. =)

Anonymous said...

yummy, sure hope to see some at Christmas!, Momma

Anonymous said...

I'm supposed to bring a dessert on Sunday night as we celebrate Christmas with Greg's family. I might have to try out this recipe!